Sunday, August 12, 2012

A Little bit of everything...

Probably too many updates for one post but I'll give it  a shot. Where do I begin....in story form, I guess...

Grayson
This past week, Grayson was referred to a third-party speech testing place by his pediatrician (at my urging) and little did we know, this would be the most eventful day of all of our lives (with the exception of his emergency c-section - that was just nuts).  The testing results are pretty much non-news so a quick summary: He didn't qualify for their services because he doesn't have any delays. That's right, we had him tested for no reason. He scored at his correct age or advanced in every area (they test for everything: motor skills, cognitive, etc; but I was only concerned with speech). I felt like I wasted everyone's time but in the end, I'm relieved and so proud of his behavior at the appointment. Two hours of three therapists (albeit the sweetest women in the world) throwing questions, tests, activities, etc. in his direction and he did great. They took about 4 minutes to deliberate before they came back and told us that he doesn't qualify for their services. I felt silly. Hand-written thank you notes headed their way this week - ha!

This would be the least exciting part of that day...

Me
After testing, we headed to the grocery store. This is where I might lose you. The moment Gray and I walked in the store, I felt something. Every woman knows it. It's when she knows her period has arrived. Except I'm pregnant so this was a problem. The quicker Grayson and I walked to the bathroom, the faster and worse things were getting. It was getting bad. So there the two of us were in the Tom Thumb handicap bathroom stall with blood everywhere. Everywhere. I can only be thankful that Grayson is too young to remember any of it because it was traumatic. There was sobbing from me, stern instructions for him to remain in the corner and not touch anything. He just didn't know what was happening.

Mama and Jeff
My parents came to the rescue within minutes. They always do! They were in separate cars doing different things in their days and they dropped everything to be in that grocery store with me. My Dad took Grayson with him for the afternoon. My Mom and Ma (they were on the way to Ma's doctor's appointments that they quickly canceled to be with me) took me to my OB's office. The bleeding and crying continued there and I was met with a lot of hugs from their staff (love them all). I was just distraught... 

Baby
Michelle, the best sono tech in the world, brought me in to her room and within seconds of having the wand placed, she told us there was a heartbeat. Stumped and emotional I said, "but there was so much blood"....I can't really explain the mix of emotions I had: sadness, relief, elation but so confused. The diagnosis from the doctor (warning: I might lose you for real now): Placenta Previa. I know, I know, that word should never be spoken or written and I'm not talking about "previa," you understand? But it's important to me that other women know that  you can have a terrifying experience like that and the baby can really be okay! It happens to 1 in 200 pregnancies, it's really not related to the baby much at all and just means that I need to take it easy, bed rest might be ordered if it doesn't correct itself (which it most always does) oh, and the grocery store bathroom episode could happen again anytime or anywhere throughout my pregnancy. Oh, joy. But the bright side of all of this - we found out Baby #2 is a BOY! I love my boys! :) 

To summarize, I went in to that office thinking I had lost my baby and came out knowing I had a healthy baby boy. Again, words will never be able to express the roller coaster of emotions that day.
Soo yeah. 4th sonogram in 14 weeks. :)
It's a boy! Okay so Beau and I aren't really convinced by this picture BUT our sono tech rocks and I trust her more than this pic. But to be safe, we aren't shopping until after 20 weeks. Except for what I already bought. ;)
Beau
Where does Beau fit into all of this? Everywhere. He can so be my rock even across the country (Minneapolis in this example) and the speed for which he can drop what he's doing, head to the airport and hop a flight to get to me still amazes me. He's my some kind of wonderful. Because I haven't told the FULL story. It involves a crazy freak situation where, after my Dad took Grayson out of the restroom that day, I called Beau at work to tell him what was happening. The phone rang and then went silent and I just held the phone forgetting to hang up, I guess. The crazy part is that he answered and could hear me but I couldn't hear him. So he heard me just sobbing in silence. He didn't know where I was, or where Grayson was, or that I couldn't hear him calling out to me. What a terrible thing to have to happen for him. No doubt he thought we had been in a car accident or something. He called back and I remember wondering why he was already in tears. I let him know we were both okay but that the baby probably wasn't, what was happening and that's when he headed to the airport. I don't even think I've changed a diaper this weekend. He's so hands-on and he's staying home with us this week. It will make his trip to Ireland on Saturday a little easier than last time! 

I'm still shocked that all 3.5 of us are here. We're healthy and happy and that's all I can ask for! 


What a day! My little trooper.

7 comments:

theseemanfamily said...

I literally (and I know you hate that word) just cried my way through that post :(

Alison said...

Sweet girl. You'll get safely to the end of this pregnancy, even if it seems like a crash landing. You'll have to choose a name for him that means something like "resilience" or "power". Anything I can do this week? Bring you a meal?

Unknown said...

Y'all are just the sweetest friends. I'm really fine. Alison - no meals needed but thank you! I will see you Tuesday! :)

Jon and Valerie said...

Oh my goodness, Stacey! What a crazy day!! I'm so glad to hear everyone is okay. Listen to your doctor and take it easy. Let me know if I can do anything to help out. Keeping you and baby in our prayers. Hope to see you soon!

Miller Time said...

What a crazy day! I'm glad you and the baby are alright!

Elaine said...

So glad to hear everything is okay!! What a scary day!

Unknown said...

Thanks girls!

Valerie - I'll see you Friday when I bring you dinner! Text you before then though. :)