Monday, May 10, 2010

33 Weeks (or What I Know For Sure)

I know:


  • Childbirth class is simply terrifying. They should show those videos on MTV and BET in place of rap videos and to high schoolers and WHAM, no more teen pregnancy.
  • There is a head in my rib cage. You all know it. I know it. I talk about it all the time. It's like the best tumor in the world! But I wouldn't mind not having it there anymore and would much rather have it sleeping in it's crib. 
  • Yes, I said sleeping. I'm holding out for a rare baby who would rather let me sleep than poopie his diaper. :/
  • I don't mean to complain, especially b/c I have been blessed with an easy, healthy pregnancy, but I'm SO uncomfortable! I can't bend over, I'm OUT OF BREATH all the time (so lame), tired from the moment I wake up in the mornings, the list goes on - I know, I know, I need to get over it but I'm doing a great job of feeling sorry for myself! ;-) 
  • Baby Gray is currently breech. Hence, the head in my rib cage. This could mean good news - a scheduled induction or c-section. As in, we will meet him a week EARLY and it will be PLANNED! Loves it! I'm such a planner that this spontaneous birth thing is really making me uneasy. :)
  • I'm increasingly terrified of this labor :-( I hadn't really thought about it once until this past weekend. And I'm REALLY getting scared. So why can't the fact that gazillions of women before me have done this put my mind at ease? 
  • We have 46 days until the due date - less than 40 days if it's scheduled. That is close to 30 days, which is a month. Are you following the math?! Where did the last 3 or so years months go?! When did I become an adult?!

This has turned out to be a freak out blog entry - not at all what I planned to discuss! I have funny Beau quotes and fun stories about my parents moving here! I have my upcoming shower that I'm SO excited about and how I can't WAIT to see the women in my family (and friends!) who are all flying in for it this weekend! I have house repair updates, fun friend outings to report on and crazy client stories to tell....so how is this all about my fear about being a......mom? OMG, that's the first time I've called myself that. It's too much!

How your baby's growing:


This week your baby weighs a little over 4 pounds (heft a pineapple) and has passed the 17-inch mark. He's rapidly losing that wrinkled, alien look and his skeleton is hardening. The bones in his skull aren't fused together, which allows them to move and slightly overlap, thus making it easier for him to fit through the birth canal. (The pressure on the head during birth is so intense that many babies are born with a conehead-like appearance.) These bones don't entirely fuse until early adulthood, so they can grow as his brain and other tissue expands during infancy and childhood.













I will leave you on a more positive note! Look at my other babies sleeping in bed with me :-)

1 comment:

Courtney Schumacher said...

I remember our childbirth class and in the video, not only was the woman, you know, giving birth, but she was doing it 100% completely nekkid. I was petrified. Thank goodness, the video was just done at some hippie commune in Denver and not normal practice. I think I had my legs crossed for weeks after that! Labor can't be that bad since I am willingly doing it again!