Thursday, December 22, 2011

Plans for Grayson's (someday) big boy room

I started thinking about Grayson's big boy room almost as early as we planned the nursery. For fear of sounding completely annoying, it was more from an efficiency perspective than anything. I mean decorating is fun and all but when you have a small space and dreams of gaggles of children, you can't help but think through the logistics a bit. Since we only have 2 guest bedrooms, one will hopefully remain a nursery for a while (no I'm not pregnant but it's no secret that I hope to be again someday) and the other bedroom is now a playroom. That play room will, by default, need to be converted to an older kid's room. It just makes sense to move Grayson in there someday since the nursery is painted/set up for a baby.


Okay, got all that? Now for the fun stuff! Not to be Debbie Downer but Boy decor is BORING. I mean someday he will choose his own theme and if he goes with dinosaurs, astronauts or baseball stuff then so be it but while I have control, the ONLY thing that has interested me all this time is a nautical theme! This picture at my sister's Maine wedding back in April sealed that deal...how could I not NEED this picture framed in my house somewhere?!
LOVE that the photog captured Beau holding up Grayson!
I should also mention that Grayson won't be moving into his new room anytime soon since he's not a "big boy" yet but I'm digging that I can decorate that room slowly since it IS just a bare play room thus not sending Beau into sticker shock in one big month of buying/decorating. Brilliant?! I know.


I definitely wanted seersucker bedding and found this cover and pillowcase for THIRTY DOLLARS at Ikea. That's hitting the bedding jackpot. I can't wait to have the sham monogrammed with his name in red. 
We found some simple solid red sheets at Target for next to nothing. Now to determine if they remain soft. Cheap sheets scare me. I also have another site lined up for these who will monogram the end of the pillow case. Can you ever have too much monogramming? Probably. But not in my house!


So here are some items I've had marked as favorites on Etsy for far too long - time to make them public so I can see it all together...


Wall art, again all on Etsy...
Or this...

Or this...
Okay, so I really have no idea on walls.

Some throw pillows courtesy of Etsy that I'm thinking about...



I like this wall art to add more red in but who knows...
I'm mad at myself because I came across this bed frame (pay no mind to all the STUFF in this picture - it's too much!) for pennies on the dollar when Lone Star Baby closed their Dallas location. I stared at it forever but didn't pull the trigger because Grayson was still a baby and buying a big kid bed was just too premature. But of course now that I want it, it's 3 or 4x that price...


Never mind that I want white bedroom furniture for this room but Beau is adamant that white furniture is not for boys (sigh). But it makes so much SENSE for this look. But I guess he's right, when Grayson wants a football themed room at 8 or 10 y.o., he won't want white furniutre. I get it, I guess.


Maybe it's all meant to be though because I came across a guy in Frisco who builds headboards out of old doors - all the rage these days on Pinterest it seems...but how cool would this be? It's not technically white...but it doesn't scream 10 year old coolness either...
I'm already frustrated/bored with bed frames so moving on...to drapes. OF COURSE Beau and I threw away 4 sets of navy blue drapes that came with our house. We hung onto them for 2 years just in case we would need them so OF COURSE we did this 1 month before I decided that we could use a set in this room. Of course!


That's all I have so far. Send any ideas/pins my way! :)

1 comment:

Miss Nikki said...

Oh fun! As you know we are doing Nautical too so I have found tons of great links/sites I will send to you. I also think a shopping trip to Naples is a MUST since this is Nautical theme decor headquarters ;-) Seriously our homegoods/tjmaxx/marshalls are stuffed with so many gems that at the rate i'm going I am afraid that Weston's first words are going to be "mommy, we need a boat" as if I don't already hear that enough from his daddy!