Saturday, August 31, 2013

The New House: We have sheetrock!

Sheetrock is complete! We are so close to the fun stuff so it's really starting to get exciting! It actually really looks like a house now. I can't wait to see everything take shape from here. This past week, my amazing sister Andrea came to Dallas to be at my Design Center meeting. It was crazy to me to think that in 2 short hours, I was going to make big, permanent decisions. I couldn't imagine not having her there and it meant the world to me that she thought of it as important. She had just gotten back to Austin after a week of working in Taos just to turn around 12 hours later and road trip to Dallas! Thank you, sweet Andrea! You'll never know just how much that meant to Beau and me!!

It was especially important because she has a great eye for colors/textures/spaces that I just don't. Also because she really acted as my advocate: asking questions and challenging the builder on things that I probably wouldn't have. The outcome: I'm really excited about the exterior paint and stone coordinating with the brick and I really feel like I got my dream kitchen! I'm anxious to see it take shape and I know it won't be everyone's style but I'm getting what I want and that makes me happy, happy, happy. And Beau is excited too. We got the hardwoods and the kitchen sink he wanted. The stone on the fireplace will now extend to the ceiling, the master closet will  have a walkway to the utility room like he wanted and the media room is taking shape. That's all this man can care about ;)

Here is the sheetrock! 

Looking into the living room from the kitchen
Watching the boys go down the stairs
Play area/Game room
Looking out from the master bedroom
Kitchen
Standing at back of house looking to the front door
Overall, we are very relieved at how light and bright it is. While we are looking forward to not having west/east sun directly in our windows, it means we were giving up a lot of sunlight - at least we thought. We still won't know until we're all settled in but walking the house with sheetrock in place gave me hope. Just having the dark insulation in was worrying me. 

More to come as we progress!

2 comments:

Elaine said...

How very very exciting!!! The new house is looking great and I can't wait to see how it all comes together. How fun!!

Unknown said...

Thank you Elaine! We look forward to having you all over! xoxo