Friday, November 21, 2008

Ruben's Pictures

My Mom and Ma were in town last weekend to attend the Dallas memorial service for Uncle Ruben. My mom gave a beautiful speech at the service honoring Ruben's life and we were amazed at the turnout! We knew he had a lot of people at his Church that loved him but it's always wonderful to see. There were about 100 people there and every single one of them spoke to my mother after the service, telling her how wonderful he was and what a contribution he made to the church. There were a lot of tears. We sure are going to miss him.

While they were in Dallas, we stopped by Ruben's house so that Ma could see it one last time before the heirs come up and get their things and it goes on the market. Ma found these photos in his Mother's old chest. There were tons more - I only wanted to get a close up of a few. Ma remembered the story behind almost all of them, sharing her childhood memories and even telling me a story about how we are distantly related to one of the Beach Boys! Too funny - I never knew. Something about my great grandmother and his grandmother were sisters. So what does that make us? And more importantly, does that entitle me to any royalties? Kidding - that was a bad joke.

It was just so neat to hear about my ancestors and it was even richer to have the photos to contribute to Ma's stories!

No comments: