Sunday, April 8, 2012

Insomnia + Ulcer

Insomnia
I can't sleep lately. This used to happen to me when I had a big client presentation or project due or just too many things on my To Do List at work. It was always stress related as it pertained to work. Never personal stuff because I'm just not stressed in my personal life like I ever was at the office. So WHY can't I sleep?! I don't have anything weighing on my mind? I just lay there and read Hollywood gossip sites on my phone. And Twitter. I loooooove Twitter in the middle of the night. There is so much activity there that I feel like I'm in good company. And since I have ALWAYS hated the middle of the night, the loneliest of all times, it's important.
At least on the weekends I have this beauty to look at (and to be jealous of his slumber). But isn't he beautiful?!
Beau told me that, to get back to sleep, I shouldn't just lay there and read. That I should get up and move around. So it's 3:30am, I have fixed Grayson's Easter basket (oops, forgot to do it last night), cleaned the kitchen, cut coupons, read the People Magazine that was mistakenly delivered to our house and fed my stomach ulcer. Oh, the stomach ulcer. That keeps me up too but only after I've been up for an hour anyway.


The Ulcer
My body has to be the most high maintenance of bodies. From fussy teeth issues to bad eyes to my old, cranky appendix to that crazy ectopic pregnancy to now this. Google says it's a stomach ulcer so let's go with that. And of course it got really bad on Friday; just as my doctor closed for Easter.


I'm paraphrasing but Google says:
  • The major symptom of an ulcer is a burning or gnawing feeling in the stomach area. 
  • Often interpreted as heartburn, indigestion or hunger. 
  • Pain usually occurs in the upper abdomen. 
  • Pain frequently awakens the person at night. 
  • Pain can be relieved by drinking milk, eating, resting, or taking antacids.
  • Persons with duodenal ulcers may experience weight gain because the persons eats more to ease discomfort. 
The most important part: it can be alleviated with eating and drinking milk. So that's what I do in the middle of the night. Glamorous, eh? Going to the doctor on Monday but in the meantime, I'm getting a kick out of using my best Brooklyn accent (like the bad guy in the hot pepper scene of Dumb and Dumber - minute 3:15 here)....My ul-SUH!

No comments: