Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Shelby's fat....

and out of shape. She has always been low maintenance with food. In the past, I would fill her bowl full and she would eat what she wanted, when she wanted (usually 1X a day) and we don't feed her people food. So I never really paid attention to how much I was feeding her or how frequently she was eating until recently. She has put on weight suddenly and then I realized, OH. I know what she's doing. She is making sure to eat everything in her bowl so that Brinkley won't get it! That means, even if she sits there and eats for 30 minutes 2X a day until she is miserable, she will eat everything while he watches!! They have such a competitive relationship that she doesn't want him to have anything that she doesn't even care about - like food! I can't have a fat dachshund. I preach about how bad that is for their spines and now look - I wake up one day and I have one!

Here is Shelby after our first walk in like a year!

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Latte is the SAME way! She picks at her food at home, but at my parent's house she scarfs down her entire bowl while Maui watches. And she had gained half a pound last time she went to the vet - which is a lot when you should only weigh 5lbs!