Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Team Connor Benefit

Britney and Scooter invited us to be their guests at this incredible event Sunday night and we were honored to attend. The managing partner of Scooter's company, Northwestern Mutual, and his wife lost their son Connor to children's cancer and this is just one of the inspiring, special, big events they do to raise money for the cause. Part of the cocktail hour/formal dinner/silent auction/live auction was that they each had a chance to stand up and speak. Probably not a dry eye in the place. I simply can't imagine losing my child. My biggest fear. 


I really want to rave about the efficiency and professionalism at this event - by far the most organized and high-tech of any I have attended. They had the entire first floor of III Forks and it was buzzing. We were met by hostesses (ahem - models) who guided us to the registration room. I don't think we made 3 steps in before servers also greeted us with glasses of wine. Y'ALL. We were drinking before we made it thru the lobby. They are so smart. Why? Because people who drink spend money. I'm sure that's been proven somewhere. PLUS, the silent auction was completely digital!! We registered our phones and were able to bid throughout the night. No silly pieces of paper with competing bids next to each item that ends once you sit for dinner. The app was the most user-friendly set-up on our phones, which created so much more fun and SO much more competition on the items since everyone was bidding through dinner! We even received text messages when we were outbid. Of course that fired us up to bid again. Simply brilliant.



Beau and I took this for my Dad. We thought it was hilarious that the starting bid for OU tix was only $35 ;)

Beau bid in the silent auction (and won) 4 VIP tickets to Texas Motor Speedway, which includes a parking pass and all you can eat/drink in some suite. Sadly, it's on the same day as the Race for the Cure for which I signed up. We'll sell the tickets, hopefully. I'm sad though because we've always wanted to go to a NASCAR race and this sounds like the only way to go! I didn't bid on anything because the only item I wanted had a starting bid of $990 (I love you, Bachendorf's.)
Ahh, iPhone pictures :/
With the Asels

Dinner was delicious and those servers never slowed down with their wine pour - they were dangerous. We had a blast with the other couples at our table and the live auction was a HOOT! There were a ton of trips that went for about 10 grand each. I can see how people get caught up in the excitement! I wish I had a picture of the auctioneers in their big cowboy hats. ;)

Seated for dinner
I have no idea why I didn't get pictures of the rest of our table.
Oh good grief. Can we not create a mess wherever we go? This indian that stands at the III Forks valet ended up on the ground about 3 seconds after this picture was taken. Valet said it happens all the time. Ha! 
Our beautiful centerpiece that I was lucky enough to take home.  Obviously I was trying to be artsy with Instagram to no avail.
I just can't say enough about how special this event was. I hope they raised everything and more that they hoped to. We may insist on an invitation next year! :)

2 comments:

Elaine said...

We knew Connor. He was struggling with cancer right as Brian's brother Tim was recovering from his battle with lymphoma 10 years ago. Tim visited Connor several times - he was such a sweet kid. How neat that you got to be part of this event!

Unknown said...

That's really cool, Elaine!