Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Boy Names (sigh)

Why is this so hard? I never understood why my friends had such a difficult time naming their babies. Grayson's name was so easy for us! But now. Now it's payback for all the crooked eyebrows I sent in the direction of those people who couldn't just decide. And we already have the middle name so this shouldn't be so tough!

We do know that the baby's middle name will be Beau (have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE the name Beau?? Even before I knew Beau! I wanted a son named Beau. And a dog. And the actor who played Beau in the original Dukes of Hazard series. Alas, my Beau is SO much cooler than all those. And also having a child with the middle name aint so bad either.) Pioneer Woman backs me up here on #10. Speak it, sister! ;)

Back to the first name, we have a list that alternated between about 3 - 6 names. When one would come on, inevitably another would be cut. But currently, we're stuck. No movement. Nothing coming, nothing going. Here they are in all their glory....

Dylan. I would really LOVE to have a daughter named Dylan. But I've loved it as a boy name for longer so I really see it both ways. 

Garrett. No idea why. It has stuck with me long before #2 came around.

Walker. Ahhhh, my front runner. Beau likes it a lot, which he's pretty indifferent to names in general, so that's something.He even passed my sly little test the other day when I read off the other 3 names and he immediately responded, "What about Walker??" That's a sign, right?!

Preston. I know too many adult Prestons for this to make sense (no offense or anything...) but I still love the name in it's own right. Is this one that will forever be cool or is it past its prime? 

Honorable Mentions:
Beckett. I would call him Becks! Which made me think of Posh Spice and Beau think that the kid would grow up to be a raging prick. Ha! ;)

Kieran. Beau returned from Ireland excited about this name! Not sure why it fizzled - just did. Maybe b/c it's a beer.

Leyton. This was actually on my girl list and was promoted to boy when we knew gender for sure. It was a no go for Beau. No-Go-Beau.

Hayes. I'm against one syllable names for both first and middle. Hayes Beau? Meh.

I can not even believe I'm asking this but any thoughts/opinions out there? Excluding, of course, the "my step-mom's high school-aged son's name is Dylan and he sucks" comments. We all have those and everyone knows moms don't want to hear them! :)


There are 20,000ish boy names out there and we can't pick one?!
Coming up: a sneak peak of the nursery progress! This may just all come together. Oh, and I never photographed Grayson's completed big boy room. I'll get to that too. Eventually ;)

5 comments:

amyd said...

so this random but my cousin always says (hopefully jokingly) when he has a boy he wants to name him Beau Hunter...

Personally I love the name Beau but definitely stay away from Hunter in either order :)

I like Ryan and Reid with Beau.

Chelsea said...

Hands down Walker - I have loved this name for awhile it's just a cool name that is not too trendy and you don't see too many which is always a plus!

Courtney Schumacher said...

You have a great list there! Seriously-any one of them would be perfect. BUT, since you can't name your kid Dylan Walker Preston Beau Reynolds, my vote is Walker Beau. I think it goes so well with Grayson! SOMEHOW we have agreed on ONE girl name and ONE boy name depending on how our sono goes next week. No clue how we managed that! I have to say it again---brothers are just SUCH fun!

Alison said...

Well done, curator! They are all so good, and all of them say something about your taste as a couple. I'm leery saying favorites when people put out their name lists, but yours are all great. I'm probably rooting for Walker Beau. I see it up in marquees.

I love Hayes, too, and had never heard it until this year. Two of the twelve toddlers in London's class (counting boys and girls in the 12) are named Hayes. I thought it was a typo! So, that might be a popularity warning if those things bug you.

We are having the hardest time with boy names! I'll tell you ours because I'm not one that cares if people "take them" first: William Buie Cook III (obviously family name there), with argument about whether shortening to Liam would get him stuck in lockers as a kid. **I say it won't** Hudson, Sawyer, Cale, Ryland, Everett, Stone, Cohen, Kellan, Rainer, River, Knox, Rhett, Rory, Cale, Finn, Iver (like the band), Sterling, Micah, Avett, and Ashley (yes, for a boy.)

Bill hates 90% of my list. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone! I had no idea that 50% of you read my blog so yay! :) [note to self: be more interesting]

Alison - you crack me up! I vote to not shorten William at all! I love it just like that. ;)

I have 100% votes for Walker - even in texts and phone calls so we'll just have to see. Thanks again!