Monday, August 16, 2010

SAHM Lesson #2: Don't try to buy wine before noon on God's Day

Oh, the embarrassment....From the beginning....I zipped around Tom Thumb yesterday morning with my coffee in hand and Grayson in the cart super impressed that I was out of the house before 9am. I had some last minute things to pick up for Beau's Birthday dinner and was trying to let him sleep in. I was trying a new recipe called "Just for the Halibut" (get it?!) and it called for, well, Halibut. And wine. [SAHM lesson #2a: if a recipe calls for a 1/3 cup wine, you get to drink the rest! ;-)] Walmart isn't really known for their wide selection of fish (or really any selection of fish) so this created the need for one last minute trip to the store before we started our fun Sunday. I pulled right up to the lane (since there were more employees than customers) and put my groceries on the belt. I would describe Cashier #1's next move as "confiscating" the bottle of wine and I would further describe the looks I was getting from Cashiers #1 and #2 and Bagger #1 as "judgmental" and "LUSH"! The first Cashier took the bottle off the belt and put it behind her saying, "You can't buy wine before noon." So what did I do? I made it worse, of course. So begins the babbling I'm so good at in awkward situations, "Oh, ha, well my recipe calls for wine....I'm just so focused on cooking....amateur wine-buyer...." The more I tried to make it clear that I wasn't planning on opening the bottle in the parking lot, the more they figured that's exactly what I was going to do.

If you are wondering, the dinner turned out pretty good! We had asparagus and garlic bread with it.And wine, too ;-)

Just for the Halibut in White Sauce

2 (12 oz) packages frozen halibut steaks, thawed
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c butter
1/3 c dry white wine
2/3 c milk

Place halibut steaks in crock pot. Combine flour, sugar and salt. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour mixture, stir until bubbles. Add the wine and milk and boil for 1 minute or until thickened. Pour the sauce over the fish and cook on High for 3 hours. Serves 6.

2 comments:

The Pharrs said...

YUMM - sounds good! And, it looks easy enough that I might try it :)

Courtney Schumacher said...

This JUST happened to me too! Buying wine for a pork tenderloin recipe at 11 on a Sunday and totally got judged. Oh well!