Saturday, August 21, 2010

SAHM Lessons 4, 5 and 6

I'm learning so much about being efficient and taking shortcuts to keep this house straightened up, Grayson alive and happy and to keep myself bathed and sane. Baby steps...

Lesson #4: If you can answer "yes" to "would this decision get me on the 6 o'clock news?," don't do it. 

If there is ever a question in my mind whether what I'm about to do is safe, I picture myself crying on the 6 o'clock news. Sort of like a legit Susan Smith (emphasis on 'legit'). For example, when I was tempted to "run in" to the post office to buy stamps while leaving the car running and Grayson inside. I considered it...then pictured myself on the local news pleading to the public that my car was stolen with my baby inside and that the capture of the suspect and safe return of my baby would yield a generous reward.

Grayson is laying next to me and I still don't have stamps. See? It works.

Oh, and my Mom politely suggested that I strive for more of a "What Would Jesus Do?" mentality rather than a 6 o'clock news approach. Noted.

Lesson #5: $200 jeans aren't in the budget.

Let's be real, they probably never really were in the budget. And I'm proud to say that they don't need to be now that I found non-designer jeans that a) are long enough, b) hold their shape and c) that I'm completely happy with! I have to say that I haven't shopped Express since college but this sign caught my eye the other day: Buy one pair of jeans, get the second 50% off. I was in the fitting room within 10 minutes and out of there in less than 30 with two pairs of jeans for $100. What a deal and I kept my hubby off my back - ha! ;-)



Lesson #6: Only begin a project when you have all the supplies needed to complete it.

I am guilty of cleansing my closet of maternity clothes without a place to store them. I couldn't decide on a giant bin or one of those vacuum storage bags (expensive-ish). Thus, this is what the bench in our bedroom looked like for FIVE WEEKS! Ugh. So, I vowed to myself that I wouldn't begin a project without having everything up front to complete it. Also, so that I can cross it off my list - I LOVE  crossing things off as complete. A feeling that has not gone away since I left my jobby job.

What an eyesore!

2 comments:

Kristi said...

There is an ATM near Custer/121 I think that sells stamps. Anything with a drive thru is my new favorite store. I completely know where you are coming from!

Unknown said...

Good to know!