Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Talker

I have always loved a good massage and they have been ever-so-important here recently! Not only b/c of back pain due to pregnancy but b/c I'm dealing with more stress & responsibility at the office than I ever have before. (Yes, perfectly coinciding with a time in my life that I need the least outside stress.) I have now had 2 prenatal massages and BOTH therapists talked throughout the ENTIRE massage! Shouldn't Chapter 1 in Massage Therapy school be all about WHY people come to see them? De-stress, relaxation, muscle tension come to mind....so a massage should be a quiet, relaxing experience, right?! I know therapists stand in those dark rooms all day with no one to talk to and I feel for them but I just don't want them talking to ME.;)

I specificaly don't want to hear about your daughter's stressful job at Bank of America (remember, I'm trying to FORGET work), the abuse your adoptive daughter experienced at the hands of her father (break my heart!), your ex-husband, your ex-boyfriend, how your lab saved your life at a rest stop, how you arrived to Texas from Boston via Scottsdale, and I REALLY don't want to be asked 20 questions about MY stressful job...[sigh]. She was so sweet but really?! And this is less than 1/2 of the topics...her 2 pugs, her dancing career (not THAT kind of dancing!), her middle name (Faye), muscle education, her pregnancy and her daughter's boss are all new things I have learned about. All that said, she did an excellent job and I feel great. :)

I just really need a quiet massage therapist and I KNOW it's my job to tell them to be quiet. I just can't bring myself to address it. :-(

No comments: